Thursday, March 5, 2009

Seeking First the Kingdom - Part One

In the Matthew 6:33, we find a verse that is familiar to most Christians, “But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Most of us understand the context of this verse. Jesus discerned the thought processes of the people of his day. He knew their concerns. He lived among them. When you spend time with a person or a group of people, you come to know their concerns. He recognized the people of his day were focused on what they would eat or what they would wear, simple projections of the basic human needs. But, the times in Jesus day were difficult for the Jews. They lived in occupied territory. There was hardship all around. These were legitimate concerns. You and I recognize that the issues confronting people in our day are not much different from those mentioned in this passage. Often we clothe this passage in the context of simple “worry.” In reality, I think it is much deeper than that. It’s not just about worry, though Jesus uses that word. It is about the thought processes that dominate our minds and our moods.
Today’s news shows are dominated with talk about our economy. What occupies your mind most of the time? I confess, I watch TV programs to see who can explain the economic mess we are in, without much success. I doubt I am any better off for it.
But in these days of economic uncertainty, what occupies your mind?
Jesus’ challenge to those hearers and to us was to focus primarily on the Kingdom of God. Instead of seeking after wealth or personal security, he challenged us to seek the Kingdom (rule and reign) of God. What does that mean? I think it simply means to live in a relationship of complete reliance upon God, seeking to fulfill God’s will for our lives. It means that God sets the agenda for my life, not me. Uh oh! Do you fall into that trap like I often do of not allowing God to set the direction? I confess! If you pair this verse with Luke 9:23, you understand that “denying self and taking up the cross” means getting off our agenda and getting on God’s agenda.
What is Jesus’ promise that follows this command? It is a promise that we will have those things (basic needs of life) added to us (by Him). In other words, what we were concerned about – i.e. the basic needs of life – food and clothing, He will provide when we first seek His Will.
If I am concerned about my retirement fund, what I am looking for is long-term security after I retire from full-time work. That is why I have for the last 32 years put money into my retirement fund. But, the truth is, that if I trust God, He will provide for what I need, even if my retirement fund is not there when I retire. What I have to do now it to get busy seeking His Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment